Translate

Monday, January 10, 2022

Illustrated Summary of The Chosen: Season 2, Episode 5: Spirit



This episode begins with Mary Magdalene gathering persimmons, reciting a small portion of Psalm 139 as she works. When she sees a Roman soldier on horseback in the distance, she cowers in fear and hides, dropping the fruit and crushing the Scripture in her hand. The soldier is distracted by another Roman soldier approaching him, paying no attention to Mary. They ride off, but Mary is still badly shaken.
Mary memorizes Scripture as she gathers.
The soldiers do not see Mary, but she remains terrified.
In Jerusalem Rabbis Yanni and Shmuel are interrogating Jesse about his healing at the Bethesda Pool. Yanni wants to know the name of the man who healed Jesse. "Jesus," answers Jesse, but they want to know more, such as town and lineage, since there were thousands of Jews at the Feast of Tabernacles with that name. Jesse is more interested in pacing about on his healed legs than in answering questions. "Tell us exactly what he said again," says Yanni harshly. Jesse replies, "He told me to go and sin no morethat the result of sin is far worse than being crippled." Yanni adds, "And he told you to pick up your mat!"  "When He healed me, yes, but He found me earlier today as well," Jesse clarifies. Shmuel wants to know if others were with him. Jesse says three men were with Jesus when the healing took place, and one was taking notes. Then he turns to Yanni and says, "By the time you finished yelling at me, they were all gone!" Shmuel asks what else Jesus said to Jesse today. He says, "They were going to see Jesus's cousin today, I think." Shmuel, who wasn't there for the healing, is convinced this is Jesus of Nazareth.
Rabbis Shmuel and Yanni interrogate Jesse about his healing from paralysis.
We see Jesse heading down stairs outside, obviously grateful for every step he is taking and looking much better than before he was healed. Atticus approaches him and calls out his name, explaining, "The word's out. So it's true: you're on your feet." Jesse asks suspiciously, "Are you Roman?" Atticus smiles and says disarmingly, "Does my accent give me away? I was born Roman, yes, but I'm just a man. I had to see with my own eyes. I believe it was a miracle." Jesse says with conviction, "I know it was." Atticus gives him a friendly pat on the shoulder, saying, "Life changing, but forbidden. You must want to shout from the rooftops. Do you at least have anyone close to share the good news with? Friends? Family?" Jesse tells him, "I encountered my brother almost immediately after leaving the pool." "Incredible!" says Atticus. "What did he think?" Jesse pauses, wondering if he should answer. Atticus notices and says, "It's safe. Jesse, you can tell me." So Jesse tells him: "He believes the man responsible has to be our Messiah." Although that is a title the occupying Romans dreaded, Atticus responds calmly and with a smile, "Messiah? Remarkable."
Jesse has joy in his two good legs.
Atticus shares Jesse's joy—and gains information.
The scene shifts to where Simon the Zealot is camping. He maintains his Zealot routines, including a rabbinic morning prayer, breathing exercises, and rigorous training with his sica dagger. As he eats a simple meal and tends his fire, he hears an unearthly howling sound. Unsheathing his dagger, Simon moves out to investigate. Later, from a notch in a tree, he sees a wild-looking man walk with a hunched and lunging gait, panting and groaning. Simon drops down behind him and quietly follows with his blade drawn. The man stiffens and stops, saying without turning, "It can smell you, so I can smell you." The man turns and warns Simon to come no closer. Simon wants to know how the man knew he was being followed. The man explains, "The demon possessing me knew. It will hurt you!" "That won't be easy," says Simon. The man kneels and says, "If you can kill me, do it!" Simon asks if he is a Roman or a tax collector. Learning he is not and hearing the man weep now, Simon relaxes his stance and says, "Your body is temporal. A demon will go on, pass through the waterless places, and find someone else. If you're strong enough to have lucid moments, it's safer in you. Until you can find someone who can truly help you, God bless you." The man, still on his knees, rolls down his sleeves and holds up his forearms, moaning, "It makes me cut myself!" Simon says, "Would you believe this isn't the strangest thing that has happened to me in the past week?" The man crawls toward Simon, saying with a different voice, "There's a smell on yousomething vile!" Simon explains he hugged his brother yesterday, who had been lying in a pool of his ownbut before he can say what, the demon asks with disgust, "Is he a holy person?" "Not for a long time," answers Simon. The man says that the demon has a bad feeling about Simon, who takes that as a compliment and walks away from him to look for Jesus.
Simon the Zealot's morning routine.

Simon hears an unearthly sound at his campfire so he prepares for action.



Simon is a threat to the demon, but not to the man.
Jesus, Andrew, his brother Simon, and Philip are walking together, looking for where John the Baptizer said he would meet them after the Feast of Tabernacles. The Baptizer springs out from hiding to surprise them, which delights all but Simon, who looks like he will continue using the "Creepy John" nickname. John hugs Jesus and says, "Hello, Cousin. I heard about the scandal at the Pool—I love it!" Jesus says, "I figured you would." "They're going to come after You so hard for that!" says John. "Ah, let them come," says Jesus. "I see you're still not eating meat, huh? Skin and bones!" John says, "Oi, the hassle of it all! Listen, we don't have much time. I left my followers to preach repentance at Jericho. I have to go back to Jerusalem. Didn't you hear the news? Herod divorced Phasaelis, and is marrying Herodias, his brother's ex-wife. Someone has to call them out on this filth!" Jesus courteously asks, "Good men, will you allow Me a minute to talk with My cousin?" They nod and walk away.
Jesus and John the Baptist are delighted to see one another.
This Simon does not like being surprised!

Sharing News.

Meanwhile, Ramah is learning how to read Psalm 7 out loud with Mary Magdalene's help. It's hard work made harder by Mary's frustration at not remembering how to explain grammatical rules, but Ramah is patient. Matthew and Thomas can see them at a distance as they work together chopping vegetables. Matthew observes that Mary seems frustrated because she tends to compose herself by taking a sip of water, which she has done several times. Thomas speaks unkindly to Matthew because he  resents having to work with a former tax collector. Also he is jealous of how Matthew helps Ramah and Mary with reading and writing materials. Matthew says to him, "You can be very illogical when you are emotional!" Unobserved by all of them is Simon the Zealot, surveying their camp while crouched in a tree.
Simon studies movements in the disciples' camp.
Now we see Jesus and John the Baptizer sitting together with John citing Scripture: "It is right there in the Book of Moses (Leviticus 20:21): 'If a man takes his brother's wife, it is impurity: he has uncovered his brother's nakedness. They shall be childless." Jesus responds, "I understand it's against the Law of Moses, but I'm here for bigger purposes than the breaking of rules." "You minimize incest?" says John. "Of course not," says Jesus. "All of this will be addressed, but I'm not ready to get into the specifics." John quips, "You appear not to be ready to get into the specifics of a lot of things." Jesus urges him to stay on topic, commenting, "The romantic lives of rulers and kings has always been and always will be of enormous fascination to people. It was covered at length in Torah. I don't see why you feel the need to focus on it now." John explains that Herod Antipas is a client king for the Romans, yet is still "one of us." He plans to hold Herod accountable to biblical Law, saying, "He may not be as bad as his father ("Herod the Great"), but he is still bad. I'm going to march straight into his court and tell him to his face!" 

Jesus says soberly, "You do know how that's going to end, don't you?" John says, "I get arrested all the time. It's what radicals do. I'll be fine. Herod is afraid of me. The people hold me to be a prophet, some say Elijah himself." Jesus chuckles and says, "Well, not the Elijah, but we both know of the Elijah-ness of your role." John asks, "Do we, because I'm beginning to wonder why You're taking this so slow, why You're always running away after performing miracles to desolate places?" Jesus explains, "I need solitude. I'm working on something: a sermon, a big one." John says, "Ah, You're the planning type. I always say the first thing that comes into my mind." "Yes," says Jesus. "I heard about that 'brood of vipers' comment. Do you know how the poets say vipers are born?" John says, "I'm not here to make friends with religious leaders, and judging by that stunt You pulled on the Sabbath, neither are You. Are You really going to be nice to these people?" Jesus smiles and says, "I suppose not. Just be careful." John sighs and says, "Now is not the time to be careful. All this time and all these storiesI must confess I'm eager for You to get to the point." 

"Look," says Jesus, "I'm going to tell stories that make sense to some people, but not to others, and that's just how it's going to be." John sighs again, saying, "I get it. It's not like I'm preaching stories for children, either. It's becoming real, isn't it? Everything we've prepared for." "It is," says Jesus. John muses, "It's one thing to hear my abba's prophecy growing up, and Your eema's song, but it's heavy when it becomes real, no? Do You feel ready?" Jesus answers, "I'm always ready to do My Father's will, but that doesn't make it easy." John says, "Listen, I was rude to You before, but it's only because we go back so far and I can tease a bit. But You know that my heart is Yours, my life is Yours. The sole reason I was miraculously conceived by two old people was to pave the way for You. I'm just impatient for You to get to work." "I understand," says Jesus, "and I'm grateful for your part. You have done God's work, albeit in a unique way." "Guilty as charged," says John and they both share a gentle laugh.

Atticus walks up to Simon the Zealot's abandoned campsite and takes note of the burning embers, smiling because he figures Simon must be near. At the disciples' camp, Mary had been pacing but now goes back inside the tent to join Ramah, who has been working hard on her Scripture reading. She apologizes to Ramah, telling her about seeing the Roman earlier that daythat the mere sight of him filled her with terror. Even now her breaths are shuddered with only the memory. Mary feels shame, saying, "I totally ignored the prayers in my hand," shaking her head at herself. Ramah says with compassion, "This is hard." Mary changes the subject by suggesting Ramah tries again with her reading. Before they start working, Mary flinches in pain, sensing something evil. Soon she and everyone else in camps hears unnatural screeching.
Atticus knows Simon the Zealot is near.

Mary senses that something's wrong.
Thomas, armed with a kitchen knife, calls Ramah to his side. Matthew stands near them by Mary, who stares down the demon-possessed man coming into view. He says, "That smell: it's on all of you, but worse!" Mary steps out boldly and says, "Stop!" Once she had been inhabited by 7 demons, but Jesus healed her. The demon now speaking knows that and calls her Lilith. Mary says, "I don't answer to that name." The demon growls and says, "They told me about youall 7 of them." She says, "My name is Mary. It was always Mary." He tries to intimidate her, but she looks at the man and asks kindly, "What's your name?" The demon gives his devilish  name and rank in a mocking tone. Mary shakes her head and says, "What's your real name?" The man gasps and spits out a syllable, but the demon cuts him off. Mary demands, "What did your mother call you?" He chokes again, saying, "C-C-C, Can't say," suddenly in the demon's smooth voice. She says please, but he laughs at her and approaches dangerously close.
Suddenly Simon the Zealot grabs the demon-possessed man from behind, throws him down, and draws his dagger, telling him to leave. The man pounces suddenly with superhuman strength, knocking the dagger out of Simon's hand and pinning Simon the ground, his hands closing tightly on Simon's throat! At that moment by divine timing, Jesus arrives to the camp with His disciples and John the Baptizer. He orders the demon out of the man, whose body jerks straight up and forcefully over to the ground. Simon quickly scurries away from him. They all stare a moment at the man weeping face down on the ground. John happily punctures the silence with a triumphant, "Yeah!"
Simon tries to help, but is overpowered by the demon.
Jesus kneels, gently turns the weeping man over, and says, "It's all right. Welcome back. I know, it seemed like it would never end." Mary looks on with her purse in hand and then turns to leave while everyone is distracted. Jesus asks the man his name. He answers "Caleb" without difficulty. "Well, it's over now," says Jesus,  cupping his face. Caleb gratefully grasps His hand in thanks. Jesus helps him up and asks His disciples to tend Caleb's wounds and prepare food for him. John the Baptizer notices Simon breathing heavily and sitting on the ground. He asks, "When did You pick up the Zealot?" Then he helps Simon to his feet. They want to know who he is, but Jesus knows and informs them there are two Simons present. Simon the Zealot has kept his eyes fixed on Jesus since He arrived. When Jesus looks at him he asks, "Did You heal my brother in Jerusalem, Rabbi?" "Yes," answers Jesus. "Then You are" answered by another yes. He wants to know where Jesus's followers are. "They're right here," says Jesus. "Not the fearsome warriors you pictured by My side when you were at the catacombs?" Simon lets out a chuckle in response. "There are more, not here at the moment. Let's go for a walk, Simon son of Zebulun." Before they leave, Jesus asks Ramah to check on Mary.
Mary decides to leave while the others are distracted.

Jesus gently helps the former demoniac to his feet.
John notices and helps up the Zealot, who stares at Messiah Jesus in awe.
Little James and Thaddaeus say hi to Simon.
Back at Jerusalem Shmuel and Yanni appear before an official to update a report Shmuel submitted about Jesus of Nazareth healing a paralytic in Capernaum and claiming the authority to forgive sins. They want to add the similar miracle Yanni witnessed on Shabbat at the Bethesda Pool. The official, referring to Shmuel's report, says, "I know this case. It was escalated to Sanhedrin, and the beginning stages of a formal inquiry were commenced. That inquiry was closed. It never advanced beyond opening arguments." Stunned, the Pharisees want to know why, but the official will not tell them, pleading confidentiality. Shmuel insists this new miracle by the same person is a huge development, but the official says the issue will remain closed. The only information the official volunteered is that a prominent member of the Sanhedrin said what happened was no material threat and no further questions were asked. Shmuel is convinced that prominent person must have been his former mentor, Nicodemus. Yanni responds, "I know some people above his station who may see things more clearly, especially with this most recent development of violating Shabbat."
Trying to add to a report against Jesus.
Yanni and Shmuel plot to get their voices heard.
As Jesus and Simon walk together, Simon asks, "Why Jesse? Why my brother out of everyone?" Jesus answers, "The man suffered unspeakably for 38 years. It's a long time, and how else could I get your attention?" "My attention?" asks Simon. "Your Order trained you to be fearless, no? What I did with your brother, it's not the last of the trouble I intend to cause," says Jesus. Since Simon has confirmed that Jesus is the Messiah, he bows before Him on one knee and says, "Then I will do anything You ask." Jesus says, "I ask you to understand the nature of My mission, Simon." "Yes, how?" responds Simon. "How indeed? It's not so easy with distracted humans," responds Jesus. Simon rises to his feet and says earnestly, "I have trained for years for this. I am ready to execute Your mission today." "We'll see," says Jesus. "Show Me your weapon." Simon immediately draws his sica dagger and hands it to Him." Jesus whistles, commenting on its impressiveness, but then tosses it into a nearby stream! He then smiles and says, "You didn't see that coming!" Simon asks wonderingly, "You have no use for that?" Jesus tells him, "I have a better sword. You'll see. We have much to discuss. Just be patient." Simon asks, "Without my sica dagger, why do You need someone like me?" Jesus chuckles and explains, "I have everything I need, but I wanted you. You're not alone in misunderstanding, but not to worry. I'm preparing something to share with the world. For now, wanting you by My side will have to be enough. No one buys their way into our group because of special skills, Simon." Simon expresses concern that some, even from his former Order, may try to stop Jesus, especially if they find out His mission is different from theirs. Jesus says they will see what happens in a way that suggests He is the Master of all situations. After they walk off, Atticus comes out of hiding and walks over to the stream to fish out the dagger, looking at it, and then in Jesus's direction, with an expression of wonder.
Simon bows before the Lord Jesus Christ.
Jesus gives Simon a new mission.
Jesus delights in working with His chosen.
Atticus fishes out the dagger and gazes in wonder.
As dusk approaches, we see Mary Magdalene walking on a road with a determined stride, yet crying. A Roman soldier on horseback  rides past her at a slow pace. Her fears have placed her in a far more dangerous position, and she obviously realizes it, but still she walks on and enters a city. She descends a dark staircase to a door guarded by a man who says, "We don't serve women here." She tells him to tell 'Thro (Jethro) that someone is here to see him. Eventually her hardened manner gets her in the bar.
Jesus and Simon come upon John the Baptizer, who is preparing to leave at night. "So you're really going for it?" says Jesus, John replies, "You know I can't be silent." "I know. Soon I will break My own silence as well," responds Jesus. "Soon? Such a strange word! Could mean anything," quips John. "I love you," says Jesus. After they embrace John adds, "And thank You for letting me see that. I heard about the miracles. I never thought I'd actually get to see one." Jesus says, "Timing is everything, I guess. John, what you are about to do—" "I've lived my whole life with warnings," interrupts John. Warnings are how I know I'm on the right track." Jesus explains, "It's not a warning. You're doing what you're supposed to do. I'm just reminding you to be sure to listen to God's voice as you do it." "Always!" replies John. As John walks away, Jesus keeps him in sight and looks sad. Atticus is viewing this exchange while hidden in a tree. He is surprised to see the Baptizer, wondering at the connection between him, Jesus, and Simon. Jesus is softly crying by this point, perhaps thinking about what He knows will soon happen to John.
Meanwhile, Yanni and Shmuel discuss what to do next. Shmuel wonders, "What Sanhedrin member would take up a fight against a fellow member?" Yanni says in a condescending way, "Your thinking is too small. There are two schools of Mishnaic thought, Hillel and Shammai. When an issue is presented that could be interpreted two ways, the court splits. The matter becomes political and former allies become enemies." Shmuel then figures they can turn people against Nicodemus. "Maybe," says Yanni, "but the right issues, especially those that appeal to emotion, can be political gold." Shmuel objects, "False prophecy is a moral imperative!" "To you," adds Yanni, but if we can make it emotional as well, we may not even have to seek those who oppose Nicodemus. Nicodemus himself may have a change of heart." Shmuel asks, "What do we have to do?" Yanni establishes that most of the Sanhedrin follows the teaching of Shammai, whom Shmuel describes as "the most rigid interpreter of doctrine the Sanhedrin has ever known." Shmuel begins to see what Yanni has in mind, but the hard part, Yanni says, is getting Shammai to make it a priority. "Here's what's important to Shammai right now: he's in a dog fight with Sanhedrin president Shimon, the son of Hillel, the more tolerant teacher. Shammai has the votes in the Sanhedrin, but Shimon has the common people because he's Hillel's son." Shmuel realizes that Shammai wants the people and Shimon wants the votes. Yanni concludes, "If we could offer Shimon a way to beat Shammai at his own rigid game—" but Shmuel is sad that what he thinks is moral is reduced to political posturing. Yanni decides to write an old friend who is Shimon's personal scribe. He asks Shmuel what else he remembers from Capernaum. Shmuel recalls a striking Ethiopian woman who spoke of Jesus healing a leper. He decides to go back to look for her. "Excellent!" says Yanni. "If the case is reopened, it will have the full weight of the Sanhedrin behind it." Shmuel also suggests searching the census records for family information about Jesus of Nazareth, a job made easier since the town is small.
Yanni and Shmuel continue their plotting in more relaxed dress.
Mary is led into the bar and meets her old friend Jethro, who calls her Lilly because he knew her by her old name, Lilith. He is impressed by how much better she looks than the last time he saw her. She says, "I'm here for one thing and I've got the money this time. I can pay for it myself." He sighs.
Two Simons walk over to Jesus's other disciples by their campfire. The son of Jonah introduces the former Zealot to the group. He notices Mary is missing. Ramah says she spoke to her earlier but hasn't seen her since. The first Simon runs and apologizes for interrupting Jesus, who is thinking out loud how to word what He will say in His Sermon on the Mount about His people being "the salt of the earth." Simon reports that they checked the forest, "but Ramah thinks Mary was affected by the demoniac. She wasn't feeling right all day. You don't think she could have gone into Jericho? Maybe I should go into the city just to be sure." Jesus says, "Yes." Matthew makes his presence known, saying, "I'm coming too!" Simon objects, but Jesus says to take him, suggesting to Matthew that he keeps in mind the Psalm 139 passage he has been memorizing: "If I ascend to heaven, You are there. If I descend to the depths, You are there."
Simon introduces Simon Z to the other disciples.
Jesus prepares for a big sermon.
Deciding on a rescue mission.


No comments:

Post a Comment