Translate

Saturday, January 8, 2022

Illustrated Summary of The Chosen: Season 1, Episode 4: The Rock on Which It Is Built


Matthew, a Jewish tax collector, says to Quintus, the Roman praetor: “I am not accepted … anywhere. You were born Roman; I made the choice.”

Simon (Peter) says to his wife (Eden): I can't do this anymore. I haven’t been honest with you…. A few days ago I looked you in the eyes and told you, ‘I’ve got this.’ I lied…. We haven’t been able to keep up. I did some things that I’m not proud of to try to fix it."

Andrew, who has been helping John the Baptizer, runs out of breath to his dispirited brother, Simon. He gasps out that John pointed to Jesus and called Him “the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world.” Simon isn’t interested in anything “Creepy John” says about lambs, but Andrew counters: “If the Messiah is here, the Romans don’t matter—anything is possible now!”

Matthew, on assignment to spy on Simon fishing at night, hears Simon from a distance grunting loudly in frustration over not catching anything. Matthew says to his dog with him, “People sometimes bark, too.”


Simon speaks to God bitterly while in his fishing boat: “And I will make your descendants as many as the stars in the heavens.’ And then what, huh? Make the descendants as many as the stars only to let Egypt enslave us for generations! Bring us out of Egypt, part the Red Sea, only to let us wander in the desert for 40 years! Give us the land, only to let us be exiled to Babylon! Bring us back only to be crushed by Rome!... You’re the God I’m supposed to thank. You know, if I didn’t know any better, I’d say You enjoy yanking us around like goats and can’t decide whether we’re chosen or not. Which one is it, huh?”

At this point Simon’s boat is joined by another, carrying his brother, Andrew and an older fisherman named Zebedee with his sons James and John. (Andrew explains they were tipped off by Simon’s wife that Simon needed help.) When they ask who Simon was talking to, he says, “Apparently no one.” In the morning, Zebedee sighs and says, “Sometimes the sea bests all of us.” As Simon’s boat comes to shore, Andrew spots Jesus teaching a small crowd there. Jesus asks them if He can come on board to finish His teaching since the crowd is having trouble hearing Him and since His shouting voice is “hard on the ears.” Sullen Simon reluctantly agrees.


Jesus, holding up one of Simon’s nets, says: “This net gathers all kinds of fish. The Kingdom of heaven is like this. After the net is full, the good fish are gathered in barrels and the bad fish thrown away. So it will be at the end of the age. Angels will come and separate the evil from the righteous and throw them into a fiery furnace. Do you understand?” He asks Simon to put the boat back out a little and let down his net. Simon is reluctant, but something about the way Jesus looks at him convinces him to at least humor Him—and the net soon becomes so full of fish, it is in danger of breaking! Zebedee quickly comes over with James and John to help. Soon Simon’s boat is filled with fish!



Andrew says to Simon, “I told you!” Simon kneels before Jesus and says humbly, “Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord." Jesus asks him to look up. As Simon does he says, "You are the Lamb of God, yes?” Jesus answers, “I am. Did you understand that parable I told earlier? Fish are nothing. From now on, I will make you fishers of men. And you are to gather as many as possible—all kinds. I will sort them out later.”

Illustrated Summaries of All The Chosen TV Series Episodes (Quotes, Links, and Photos)

 #TheChosen #BingeJesus #SeeHimAsTheyDid #QuotesfromTheChosen

No comments:

Post a Comment