Translate

Sunday, January 9, 2022

Illustrated Summary of The Chosen: Season 2, Episode 3: Matthew 4:24

 


This episode is titled Matthew 4:24, which tells us that Jesus's "fame spread throughout all Syria, and they brought Him all the sick, those afflicted with various diseases and pains, those oppressed by demons, those having seizures, and paralytics, and He healed them." The whole episode was filmed in one take from twilight to dark, giving us a good idea of what an experience like that was like for those assisting Jesus. It opens with a long line of people waiting to see Jesus. Matthew and Philip are walking together near them. Matthew is eager to know what biblical passage Philip thinks he should begin studying. Philip suggests the Psalms of David, pausing to thank people in the crowd for being patient. Matthew all the while is taking notes on how many people are present, stopping to ask occasionally who was healed of what.
Views of the head of the line to see Jesus and the line stretching back.
Psalm 139:8 is what Philip first quotes to the eager notetaker: "If I ascend to heaven, You are there. If I make my bed deep in the depths [in Sheol], You are there." Matthew wonders out loud how practical that really is. Philip replies, "That is what I know and is what you must come to believe if you want to make any meaningful study of Torah. There is nowhere you can go, no heights you can climb to in your intellectual mind, no depths you can reach in your soul where God is not with you. Do you get it?" Matthew smiles and says, "I think so." Philip continues, "No amount of learning can bring you closer to God or make you more or less precious to Him. He's always right here, right nowwith you and for you!" Matthew confesses, "But I don't always feel it." Philip says, "The feeling doesn't always come first. Sometimes you have to believe first." Matthew observes, and Philip agrees, that believing a thing does not make it true. The crucial point, however, "is that these aren't just any words: they are David's in Scripture," says Philip. The two speak briefly with someone who was just healed; he gives them each a big hug when he learns they are Jesus's students. Philip concludes their discussion, saying, "The trying is the thing. Meditate on it for a few days and come back to me. Try writing it down several times. Something about writing it down goes a long way." Matthew eagerly agrees.
Matthew shares Psalm 139 with Mary and Ramah.
Philip walks away into the disciples' inner camp, calling Thaddeus and Little James that it is their turn to serve. The disciples  have been working in shifts all day, except for the new disciple Nathanael, whom Philip says wants to keep working. When Matthew wanders into the camp, Mary Magdalene and Ramah hurry toward him, asking if he has a Scripture passage from Philip. He eagerly shares Psalm 139:8 with them. Big James and John also come into the camp with firewood, talking together about a cut James got while pushing back someone who was rushing the line. Philip, overhearing, comments that Jesus later healed the wife of that same man. James says, "It's great what He's doing obviously, but I wish it would have happened tomorrow." That prompts Thomas to ask, "What are we a part of?" Big James responds, "Would it be wrong to say I have no idea?" Thomas says, "No, it makes me feel better!" Ramah adds, "I think that I haven't had time to think about it. I know that my parents hate it." Thomas wonders out loud about the fame from all of this. John laughs, saying, "I wouldn't mind being famous!" His brother quips, "I'm not surprised."
Thomas, Ramah, James, John, and the others contemplate fame.
The group is now in a big circle around a campfire. Daylight is fading fast. Philip tells them that fame is not as much fun as they might think. John starts talking about his Messianic hopes from childhood, saying "I prayed and prayed that the Messiah would come during this time, and I hoped that I would at least get to see Him. But to be close to Him like this? A nobody like me, Iwhat's not fun about that!" Big James complains, "You call today fun?" Philip says, "Maybe not fun, but good. But with this fame comes enemies. You will be hated, too." Matthew responds that he's used to that, but Philip reminds him that he was protected when he was a tax collector, and that his enemies weren't powerful. "Speaking of enemies," says Big James, "if someone had told you growing up that you would be a student of the Messiah, that you would be close to Him and help Him in His mission, what would you have thought?" Thomas says his first thought would be, "I don't have military training." Big James agrees with that line of thinking, saying, "When I was a child, I used to think how amazing it would be to see Messiah kill all the Romans on my street, and I wanted to help Him, so I trained with a wooden sword." Ramah adds that she would imagine hiding in her bed from the Romans, ready to defend herself with a knife, but then Messiah would rescue her at the last moment.
Talking about Messianic expectations.
Big James says with disappointment in his voice, "I didn't think we'd spend our time healingwell, watching Him heal." He gloomily fears the people will never stop coming and they'll spend the next 5 years doing this without getting to the fighting part. Philip gently challenges this thinking, saying, "Eager to bring out that wooden sword of yours, are you?" Mary Magdalene humbly remarks, "I guess I haven't had any expectations. That's probably why it's a little easier for me. I only remember hearing someone would save us someday. Why is it you expect a warrior?" Thomas quotes from Zechariah 14: "For I will gather the nations against Jerusalem to battle, and the city will be captured. Then the Lord will go forth and fight against those nations, as when He fights on a day of battle. On that day His feet will stand on the Mount of Olives, which is in front of Jerusalem on the east" Philip interrupts, saying, "Yes, the Mount of Olives will be split in two from east to west, but we don't even know when this is going to be, if it's even in this lifetime." John adds, "Here's also what I do not understand: Isn't the Messiah supposed to come at a time when all is holy?" Ramah wants to know where that idea comes from. Big James answers, "With a prophetic poem written by the rabbis not so long ago: 'And there shall be no unrighteousness in them on his [Messiah's] day, for they shall all be holy, and their king shall be the Lord Messiah.'" (Not a biblical source, so not reliable for identifying the Messiah by God-given prophecy.) Philip quips, "I guess that's why the Pharisees do not think Jesus is the one: you have to help clean out the Red Quarter first!" Many laugh, but Mary Magdalene profoundly states, "I don't think He's waiting for us to be holy. I think He's here because we can't be holy without Him." Philip gives voice to the reflective silence that begins: "Whoa, that's good! The Baptizer will want to use that."
Little James hurries breathlessly to the group and says, "Big James, they need you to help with crowd control. People are bickering and getting physical, and I can't help much in that department." As Big James goes away to help, Little James returns to a board game he was playing with Thomas, who rejoins him. Thomas fills him in on some of the campfire conversation. Little James says, "Well, I'm not sorry I missed it." He sighs with exasperation, adding, "I'm ready for this day to be over! One thing that's annoying me is these people are believing in Him and praising Himdon't get me wrong; that's greatbut it's because He's healing them, unlike the Samaritans. I don't know how many would believe in Him if He wasn't healing them." Thomas listens patiently and then ventures to say, "So I have to ask..." Little James responds in an encouraging voice, "I think I can guess." Thomas says, "Forgive me, but I speak plainly. What is your malady? Forgive me, I don't mean to offend." James says, "It's fine. It's a form of paralysis that's caused problems since birth." Thomas wonders, "Why hasn't Jesus healed you? How do you watch all these healings todaydoes it bother you?" James says, "Those are fair questions. I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about all of this. I suppose one big thing is I haven't asked." Thomas wants to know why not. James confesses, "I don't know." Thomas says, "If I had your struggle, and I was watching what was happening today, I'd demand it." James immediately responds, "I don't know if I should. It doesn't feel right. I suppose I'm just grateful He called me to follow Him in spite of it, but it's never come upnot even once. I'm afraid that if I mention it to Him, it will make Him change His mind about me." Thomas laughs gently, saying, "I'm pretty sure He knows your situation. It's not like if you pointed it out to Him He would be surprised." James laughs too and agrees.
Little James and Thomas have an important conversation about when healing doesn't happen.
Jesus's mother, Mary, now walks into the camp, to the delight of the others. They walk over to greet her. Matthew is new to her. Mary says something complimentary about his clothing, and he thanks her awkwardly. She asks, "So what do you do?" He answers, "I don't. I was a" but Mary Magdalene graciously states, "He's a new student. Jesus called him." Mother Mary says, "Lovely! I'm sure you're someone special. So was today a very long day? I saw a lot of people. Do we know when Jesus will be finished?" When being told they have been there since early morning and He has been working nonstop all day, she remarks, "He has always been a worker. He gets that from His fatherboth of them, I suppose?" Mary proves to be the same, for she sees the food and immediately sets to work preparing it to serve to her tired friends.
The disciples are delighted to see Jesus's mother, Mary, join them.

Mother Mary and Mary Magdalene prepare the evening meal.
Simon and the others get ready to eat.
We see almost almost all the disciples filter in, preparing to eat with the others. They look exhausted. After the meal, in a circle around the campfire, Simon says to his brother, "Andrew, I need a mental break. Do one of your 'meaningless question' games." Andrew states, "They're not meaningless; they're interesting, and I've got one I've been thinking about lately: What would you do for unlimited money? Or what would you give up to have all the money you could ever want for the rest of your life?" Big James wants clarification: "Do you mean would I do something painful?" Andrew says, "Yesor crazy. Would you run through the marketplace with no clothes on, screaming?" Thomas answers, "Of course not! I'd be killed by a soldier." Big James adds, "Plus it would be immodest: it would be a sin." Simon says, "Fine, something that wasn't a sin. Would you give up your left hand if you could be rich the rest of your life?" Big James answers that he would be willing to give up a few fingers. Andrew says, "What about love? Would you give up ever getting married?" Mother Mary says, "I have never had much money my whole life, and I've been happy." Thomas says, "I don't expect we'll have much money for as long as we're following Him." She observes that he looks like he had money before and asks if he was happier then or now.
Andrew's Conversation Starter

James and John think about what they would do for money.
Mother Mary gets them thinking about happiness.
The conversation takes a sour turn when John says to ask Matthew about money. Matthew humbly answers, "I feel better now. I don't know if that means happy." The attention mercifully draws away from him when Andrew confesses to feeling guilty for thinking too much about money and wanting things he shouldn't care about. He feels like he needs to live up to the heroes of the faith and do something great, but he knows he's not great. "I know it now even more being with Him," says Andrew. "I understand what you mean," says Ramah. "I feel like I need to not make any more mistakes." Mother Mary says gently, "How do you think I felt?" Andrew wonders out loud if she feels like that every day, but Mary says, "Not anymore. Jesus always reassured me, and God always made me feel like I shouldn't be burdened."
Matthew feels uncomfortable with the conversation.
Mary Magdalene asks, "How did you feel when it happenedHis birth and even before that? How did you know, when did you know who He was?" Mother Mary meekly states, "We're all tired. Do you really want to hear all that?" Everyone gives an enthusiastic yes. With that encouragement Mary proceeds: "Nothing about it was easy. I can tell you that. It wasn't in my hometown, my mother wasn't there, we had no midwife. I'm not ready to give all the details, but I do remember this: when Joseph handed Him to me, it was like nothing I expected. It was like everything I'd heard about having a baby, but I thought this would be completely different. I had to clean Him offI will be polite; He needed to be cleaned. And He was cold, and He was crying. He needed my helpmy help, a teenager from Nazareth! It actually made me think for just one moment, Is this really the Son of God? And Joseph later told me he briefly thought the same thing. But we knew He was. I don't know what I expected, but He was crying and He needed me. I wondered how long that would last. He doesn't need me anymore, not since we taught Him how to walk and eat. He hasn't needed me for a long time, I suppose. And after Joseph passedmay he rest in peaceJesus grew up even quicker. I wish I could say that made me happy. Of course, as a Jew, I'm excited to see everything He does for our people, and I'm proud of Him. But as a mom, it makes me a little sad sometimes. So it's good to be with all of you for a little bit. I can find ways to help." Ramah says with a hand clasp, "We'll take it!"
Mother Mary is asked questions everyone is eager to hear her answer.
Mother Mary asks Simon if he has any idea how much longer today's healing ministry will last. He says the line was dying down when he left, but since Jesus won't send anyone away, they'll have to wait and see. Mary leaves to check. Thomas says, "I didn't know He lost His father. I'll have to ask Him about that." Mary Magdalene talks a little about losing her father as a little girl, saying, "I didn't fully understand it right away, but eventually it made me really angry. I left everything when I was young. I tried to stop acting like a Jew. I tried to stop being myself, and then later worse things happened. Most of it is a blur, but I forgot so much of everything I learned as a little girl." Big James says encouragingly, "But now you can catch up." "Yes, I hope, with Matthew and Ramah," says Mary. "You all are so far ahead, and you're all so good at all of this." Some admit to not knowing as much as she thinks.
Thomas is moved by what he learns.
Thaddaeus walks in and flop down, saying the others are finishing up. Mary Magdalene says, "I really want to be a good student." Andrew says, "I don't think any of us went to bet midrash or did much study after school. That's what's so surprising about all this." Thomas admits to not being much of a student before he graduated to serve in the family business at age 13. Thaddaeus says, "I wasn't even good at praying until recently. I would get bored with it. You know, the same thing over and over. I learned to love it as I got older." Some in the group admit to not liking the rules, while others say they like the comfort of having rules to follow. Big James says, "I've always loved the history, the stories, so I've always loved the rules, too." Thomas admits to one time eating meat with cheese (not a biblical rule); Thaddaeus admits to once eating pork (which was a biblical rule back then)
Thaddaeus joins the conversation.
Thomas says, "I've grown to love being Jewish and following the Law, but sometime it's exhausting." The group discusses how it's hard to do both, even before the Roman occupation. Mary Magdalene says, "Yes, but aren't we used to it by now? Hasn't it made us stronger?" Thomas admits, "I don't get it if I'm honest. I don't know why God has allowed the occupation. I'll have to ask Jesus more about that, why this has been allowed for so long. It's hard to feel like 'the chosen people.'" Simon admits he has felt like that. "But it's all worth it now, yes? The wait is over," says Ramah.
Simon begins to verbally attack Matthew.
Simon looks over at Matthew, whose eyes are cast to the ground, and says in a sarcastic tone, "What about you? Has it been difficult for you all this timethe occupation, following Jewish Law?" Matthew responds defensively, "My life has not been easy." Simon scoffs, "Oh really? What was more difficult for you: escaping Roman persecution by working for them, or escaping your guilt with all the money? And now you're catching up on Torah and wanting to follow the Law? Why now all of the sudden? Why not all the other times when you had the chance?" John tries to curb Simon's hostility, but Simon persists. "What do you want me to say?" asks Matthew. "I don't know what you want from me." Andrew wants an apology, saying, "Simon's not wrong. He could be more delicate about it, but you did choose to work for them, and you made my life even harder than it already was." When it looks like Matthew might speak up, Simon says forcefully, "I don't want you to apologize. I won't forgive it anyway." John, now angry, demands to know what puts Simon in authority to forgive or not to forgive, and reminds Simon of his past sins. Simon gives excuses, and now Thomas demands to know what Matthew's excuse is, saying, "I was a successful businessman and yet I was always behind." John observes fairly that Matthew wasn't Thomas's tax collector, but Thomas persists, saying, "I want an answer!" Big James fractures the group further, saying to Thomas, "Hey, you're new!" Simon stands up and renews his attack on Matthew: "Do you even know what it's like to be Jewishto suffer for centuries and centuries because of it, but to still commit to it? To protect our heritage even though it never stops being painful because the one comfort we have is to know that we're doing it together. We're all suffering together, but if we just wait a little longer, we'll have rescue because we're chosen. And you betrayed that and spit on it! I can't forgive it; I'll never forgive it!" Big James shouts, "All right! You've said what you needed to say. Sit down, Simon!" He refuses and others arise angrily on their feet, glaring at one another.
Simon at his worst.
Mother Mary had quietly drifted in, overhearing this tense conversation and obviously grieved by it. Now Jesus slowly walks in on very tired feet, His breathing labored. He simply says goodnight and waves as He passes by, but practically stumbles as He tries to take off His cloak by His tent. Everyone stares at Him, but Mother Mary moves swiftly to assist Him. He says, "Oh Eema, thank you." She gently takes off His sandals, which is obviously painful for Him because of how long He has been on his feet. Now she bathes each foot. Then she observes, "You've got blood on Your hands," and washes them. Moving to His forehead, she says, "One more. There we go." Jesus says with a chuckle, "I'm a mess! Good?" "Good," says Mary. He kisses her and says, "What would I do without you, Eema?" She encourages Him to get some sleep. "Okay," He says. "I'm so tired." As He lies down with shuddered breaths, she draws the curtain and we hear Him blessing His Father in a bedtime prayer. Everyone at the campfire watches and listens in silence, contemplating His devotion, contrasting that with their own and all they have yet to learn.
Watching Jesus limp by puts things into perspective.
Mother Mary ministers to Jesus after He ministered as Matthew 4:24 describes.
Jesus demonstrates His appreciation for His mother.


No comments:

Post a Comment