Christianity is all about Christ. That was the message C.S. Lewis gave to a nation at war that was facing death daily but had lost touch with or didn't know what the Bible teaches and why they should believe it. What began as World War II radio addresses became Mere Christianity, one classic book (comprised of 4 small books) that still stands the test of time. It was the first Christian book I read so as a tribute, it was the first book I summarized (with lively illustrations) in my blog, mostly by 1 post per chapter. In this post I give you the big picture by listing Mere Christianity's Contents on the left with links to my individual posts on the right. My titles, whenever they differ from Lewis' titles, are attempts to add clarity so you can read about what most interests you.
Preface Serving Where the Line Is Thinnest, At Her Center Where Her Truest Children Dwell, Keeping the Term "Christian" Truly Useful, Where There Are Fires and Chairs and Meals! (Not until Book 2 do I develop my usual style of selecting a relevant, edifying image to illuminate not only each blog post, but also each paragraph of text.)
Book 1. Right and Wrong as a Clue to the Meaning of the Universe
- The Law of Human Nature Right and Wrong as Clues
- Some Objections Is "Decent Behavior" Basically Instinct?
- The Reality of the Law Is "Decent Behavior" Useful or What Pays?
- What Lies Behind the Law What Lies Behind the Law of "Decent Behavior"
- We Have Cause to Be Uneasy We Have Cause to Be Uneasy
Book 2. What Christians Believe
- The Rival Conceptions of God The Rival Conceptions of God
- The Invasion What's Behind a Universe at War?
- The Shocking Alternative Some People Say the Silliest Things About Jesus
- The Perfect Penitent Why on Earth Did Christ HAVE to Die?
- The Practical Conclusion What to Do Before the King Returns
Book 3. Christian Behavior
- The Three Parts of Morality A Positive Way of Looking at Morality
- The 'Cardinal Virtues' The Four Pivotal Virtues
- Social Morality Social Morality
- Morality and Psychoanalysis Morality and Psychoanalysis
- Sexual Morality Sexual Morality
- Christian Marriage Marriage
- Forgiveness Forgiveness
- The Great Sin Pride: The Great Sin
- Charity Love
- Hope Hope
- Faith Faith as Belief
- Faith Faith as Trust
Book 4. Beyond Personality: Or First Steps in the Doctrine of the Trinity
- Making and Begetting First Steps in the Doctrine of the Trinity
- The Three-Personal God The Three-Personal God
- Time and Beyond Time Time and Beyond Time
- Good Infection Father and Son, A Relation of Love
- The Obstinate Toy Soldiers The Obstinate Toy Soldiers
- Two Notes Neither Individualism Nor Totalitarianism
- Let's Pretend Divine Make-Believe
- Is Christianity Hard or Easy? Is Christianity Hard or Easy?
- Counting the Cost Counting the Cost
- Nice People or New Men Nice People or New Men?
- The New Men New Men in Christ
PS. Here is a post that may interest you: A Tale of Two Lieutenants: C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien. In addition, here are 2 early, brief blog posts where I explain and give thanks for my indebtedness to C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien: "Mere Christianity" As a Friend, Tolkien and Lewis: A Friendship That Changed My Life
|Enjoy Reading the Whole Book for Yourself!|