Translate

Thursday, March 29, 2012

"Mere Christianity" As a Friend


I began this blog by explaining the origin of my journal.  Anything with a title as lofty as Allacin's Book of What Is Important, Wise, and Truly Worth Knowing (shortened to a blog-friendly length) cries out for some justification to the humble mindor at least to a mind that prizes humility as a virtue.  My journal was born when caring for my daughter, and arises from love for my children and their friends.  Why burden them, or anyone else, with anything less than what is truly worth reading?  I rightly began my truly-worth-knowings with A Favorite Verse of Holy Scripture and A Favorite Sermon because of this overarching truth under my name that has long been part of every e-mail I send:

 Allacin Morimizu
"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge;
fools despise wisdom and instruction" (Proverbs 1:7).

I didn't begin my life with any appreciation for Scripture or sermons but both have shaped my life since becoming a Christian at age seventeen.  That story unfolds over time in my journal, but today's post is on My Favorite Book (other than the Holy Bible).  Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis has been a faithful friend since I discovered it in a bookstore when working during the summer of 1978 between my freshman and sophomore years of college.  Why?  Because of how it nurtured my new faith and how clearly it explains Christianity to outsiders like me.  (It clarifies things for insiders as well who missed a few crucial points growing up in Christian surroundings.)  For my birthday last November, a few weeks before starting my journal, I purchased Mere Christianity audio CDs and listen to them as eagerly as I listen to a wise, beloved friend.  Like a friend this book has its flaws but I will focus on what in it rings true with Scripture and with what I have experienced in life.

PS. A few years later, I changed my e-mail farewell to:

Allacin Morimizu
"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge" (Proverbs 1:7)
http://allacin.blogspot.com/
Illustrated Summaries of Christian 
Classics


No comments:

Post a Comment